Online Restore
Eldingo
2009-09-04 10:24:41 UTC
Hello All:

We have one Exchange Server 2003 server, and I need to restore some deleted
email for one of the users from the tape backups. What is the best way to do
it, without shutting down the mail server.

ciao
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
2009-09-04 11:40:47 UTC
Post by Eldingo
We have one Exchange Server 2003 server, and I need to restore some
deleted email for one of the users from the tape backups. What is the
best way to do it, without shutting down the mail server.
ciao
Easy peasy. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824126 and
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange_Server_2003_Mailbox_Recovery.html
for starters.

Actually, scratch that. For starters, you should *first* check to see
whether the items are recoverable from Deleted Items recovery ...if they
were deleted within the timeframe allowed for deleted item retention. See
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Recovering-Deleted-Items-Exchange-Server-2003-Part1.html
... you will probably want to set the DumpsterAlwaysOn in the registry as
per that article.

If this doesn't work, then it's time for a recovery storage group.
Eldingo
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
2009-09-08 12:48:29 UTC
You're welcome. Deleted Item retention can save your ____.
recovery storage group.
Ed Crowley [MVP]

recovery storage group.
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
2009-09-09 02:15:40 UTC
Post by Ed Crowley [MVP]
Bacon?
International Bacon Day was Saturday. I forgot to send out cards.
Ed Crowley [MVP]