access to another mailbox
naguaramipana
2009-05-04 12:59:01 UTC
Hi gurus

here is what I would like to accomplish with your help, I have two users,
one of them is no longer with the company and I would like for user two to
have access to user one emails, I already re-directed the emails to user two
by creating a new smtp email account with the user one email account so I am
good on that,user two is getting new user one emails but how do I give acces
to user two to user one old emails, User one account has been disable.

Thanks gurus
Martin Blackstone [MVP]
2009-05-04 13:42:19 UTC
I would use Exmerge to dump the mailbox to a PST and then present the PST to
the user.
They can open that and have access to all the old data in the mailbox.
Thanks gurus
naguaramipana
2009-05-04 15:05:04 UTC
Thanks Martin for the prompted reply

where can I find steps to accomplish this , This is what I really what to
do, I want to create a folder with old emails in which we can reference from
the new user and have access to old emails

do you have a place where I can go a see how this is done or if the time
permits can you tell me the steps.

Thanks again for battling with me here
Thanks gurus
Martin Blackstone [MVP]
Thanks gurus
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
2009-05-09 13:34:38 UTC
Post by naguaramipana
Hi gurus
here is what I would like to accomplish with your help, I have two
users, one of them is no longer with the company and I would like for
user two to have access to user one emails, I already re-directed the
emails to user two by creating a new smtp email account with the user
one email account so I am good on that,user two is getting new user
one emails but how do I give acces to user two to user one old
emails, User one account has been disable.
Thanks gurus
I wouldn't redirect the emails at all (either by a forward or moving the
SMTP address to the new mailbox.

My normal practice when someone leaves a company, is to remove the old user
account from any DLs it was in, change the password, set a simple OOF that
says "call the company at <phone number>" and give the new user full mailbox
access so he/she can move stuff they want into their own mailbox and reply
to new mail (as themselves). I don't disable the account; I just hide it
from the GAL after the 2nd user has it open.

This keeps things simple and clean. You generally don't want mail sent to
<old user> coming in forever - with your method your new user will never be
able to tell who the message was sent *to* unless he or she looks in the
message headers. With my method, eventually new mail will stop coming in
(or at least slow to a trickle) and then you can simply kill off the old
address entirely & delete the old mailbox.

http://www.petri.co.il/grant_full_mailbox_rights_on_exchange_2000_2003.htm
will show you how to grant full mailbox access.