Utility to Monitor Store Size
zaw
2009-03-30 15:31:40 UTC
Our store is at 14gb with the limit of 16gb. I'm aware of
the registry switch to add another 1GB.

I recently had users archive. I understand that the database size will
still reflect 14GB even though alot
of data was deleted via the archiving. What I'm looking
for is a utility that can determine the true database size, not just the
greatest expanded size. I've done database shrinks in the past, but, I'm
hoping to avoid that process
if I can determine the actual, or true, database size.

Appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Andrew
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
2009-03-30 15:55:48 UTC
Post by zaw
Our store is at 14gb with the limit of 16gb. I'm aware of
the registry switch to add another 1GB.
I recently had users archive. I understand that the database size
will still reflect 14GB even though alot
of data was deleted via the archiving. What I'm looking
for is a utility that can determine the true database size, not just
the greatest expanded size. I've done database shrinks in the past,
but, I'm hoping to avoid that process
if I can determine the actual, or true, database size.
Appreciate any input.
Thanks,
Andrew
As you know, you'd have to do an offline defrag to recover whitespace. The
amount of whitespace you'd recover is listed in the event logs (app log,
event ID 1221).

I strongly suggest you look into an upgrade - E2k is extremely limited and
is also entirely out of support.
zaw
2009-03-30 16:04:06 UTC
We're upgrading to 2007 by the end of April.

I'm trying to avoid a defrag. DOne them in the past,
just do not want to initiate any unnecessary processes
since we're upgraing within a month.

Now it's just how to determine if it's an unnecessary
process. Is the true size of the database 10GB or are we
close to the "extended" size of a little over 14GB.

Is there a way to determine the current database size?

Andrew

Martin Blackstone [MVP]
Martin Blackstone [MVP]