NDR 550: mailbox unavailable
Brad Pears
2009-05-08 20:49:07 UTC
We have a SBS 2000 running Exchagne 2000. We recently added a new domain and
I configured my mailbox to add the new domain email address to my list of
email addresses. We have a few different domain names and this is what I
have always done in the past - and it has always worked flawlessly. I have
always received mail in my inbox from any of the email addresses specified
in my email addresses tab.

However, for some reason everytime an email is delivered to this most recent
domain we just added ***@keylockpm.com, I am getting an undeliverable
message as follows...

"550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable"

If I send to that email address internally - it works jsut fine. I have also
made sure that our firebox is allowing SMTP traffic in for this new domain -
and indeed it is as I checked the logs which show thje SMTP traffic being
allowed in to that specific address.

What else should I be checking to make sure I get these emails? I am
stumped!

It also fails for anyone else I have set up new email addresses for - not
just mine...

Thanks, Brad
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
2009-05-11 14:25:38 UTC
Post by Brad Pears
[...]
Did you add keylockpm.com to your recipient policy? The MX records for
keylockpm.com point to MXLogix servers, so I suggest you take a look there
to make sure they're configured properly to handle mail for that domain and
relay the good stuff to your Exchange server.
Brad Pears
2009-05-11 17:35:07 UTC
I only added the new domain email addresses for two of our users - the only
two who are going to be receiving mail on this new domain - so I did not add
a recipient policy as I do not want all users with this address. I also
added an email address for this domain to my own list of email addresses to
test with...

When I send an email to ***@keylockpm.com from my hotmail account, I can
see that it is being allowed into our network by monitoring the SMTP logs on
our firewall - so the MX records are definatly pointing to the correct
spot...

Any other ideas at all?

I am stumped. This is exactly what I have done before for other domains we
have added and it has always worked flawlessly... Not sure what is up this
time around...

Thanks, Brad

Brad Pears
2009-05-11 18:50:46 UTC
Ok, I did miss one step - you are correct, I did need to add it to the
recipient policy - on our default policy there.. I noticed I had done that
for the other domains we have added. Sorry...

It's working now...

Brad
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
2009-05-12 12:59:30 UTC
Post by Brad Pears
Ok, I did miss one step - you are correct, I did need to add it to the
recipient policy - on our default policy there.. I noticed I had done
that for the other domains we have added. Sorry...
It's working now...
Brad
Glad to hear it. Yes, you have to do that, even if you don't want all users
to have the addresses on those domains. You can use filtering to limit who
gets them.
Brad Pears
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
2009-05-12 16:28:09 UTC