problems receiving external mail...
Brad Pears
2009-05-21 21:32:10 UTC
We have a small bus 2000 server running exchange 2000. At roughly 4:00 this
afternoon, we stopped receiving external mail. Everyone sending us email is
getting an undeliverable message. I checked out firebox logs and see the
SMTP traffic arriving and being allowed through. I then check the Exchange
server and do not see any errors in the event viewer and no errors in the
exchange logs - at least not that I could see. I have rebooted both the
firewall and the Exchange server - to no avail. I checked the Exchange
"Message Tracking Center" for emails and indeed none are showing up there.
Since I see activity in the logs, messages are making their way to the
excahgne server but something is happening after that...

I have also checked the recipient policies - nothing has changed there - and
nothing has been added to the "Filter list" in Exchange System Manager. We
can send mail internally no probs and can send email OUTside the
organization with no probs...

I have no idea where to look next.

The error I get from my yahoo account is as follows...

5.5.0 smtp;571 Delivery not authorized, message refused

I am stumped!!!!!

Thanks, Brad
Brad Pears
2009-05-21 22:50:13 UTC
Further info on the issue...

I am noticing in many cases in the Exchange logs that the "Data" command is
missing in the logs... For example normally there are 5 lines... an ehlo,
mail, rcpt, data then quit lines. I am missing the "data" lines in all
incoming emaial messages. It's there for outgoing.... Obviously it's being
stripped off before the log file is written and that is why the messages are
not being delivered... I just can't see anywhere where the exchange server
is stripping that off. It certainly doesn;t appear that the firebox is
either...

Brad